Founded in 1973 by Gatwick Airport staff, the Golden Lion Children’s Trust supports children with special needs and disadvantaged young people within Sussex, parts of Kent and Surrey.
It continues today with the founders’ belief that by working together, people can really make a difference to children’s lives. We are lucky enough to enjoy tremendous support, not least on a practical basis, from many local people and businesses who generously offer their time, skills and resources to improve the quality of life of vulnerable children and families.
Our remit and philosophy is a simple one: “to bring a little magic into the life of a special needs child”
Early activities focused on day flights from Gatwick Airport for disabled children. The children’s sheer joy and excitement led to more light-bulb moments. Why not organise trips further afield and abroad too? But that’s not all we do today.
By working in close co-operation with families, schools, residential care homes and other agencies, the Golden Lion Children’s Trust organises a wide variety of events throughout the year:
- Trips to sporting venues such as football matches and show-jumping events
- Visits to Bluebell Railway ‘Santa Special’; Diggerland; South of England Show; Herstmonceux Science & Observatory Centre; Legoland Windsor; cinema and theatre trips (including many pantomimes!); Tulley’s Farm Maize Maze and Spooktacular; London Eye; ‘Connect with the Countryside Day’; Late Christmas Party, etc.
- The GLCT has an ‘Education and Awareness’ policy, ensuring that all projects have an educational benefit. This makes learning fun as well as enhancing social skills and feelings of self-esteem
- The GLCT is responsible for its own fund-raising. If you are a local business we’d be happy to discuss sponsorship opportunities or maybe even offer you the chance to fund events.
- We are always thinking of innovative ways to raise funds – what can YOU think of?
Why not help us to bring a little magic into the life of the child with special needs?
Contact us today on 01273 891963 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and together we can ‘bring a little magic into the life of the child with special needs’.